Universitatea „Transilvania“ din Braşov, Facultatea de Litere
E-mail personal autor:
11 / 2009
Supplex Libellus Valachorum Transilvaniae
Aspects of the Modernity of Rhetoric Discourse
The paper investigates the memorandum Supplex… at the level of discourse rhetoric mechanisms. This approach brings forward both the ideological determination of the authors and their contribution to the conceptualisation of the discourse types. The Supplex is a rhetoric discourse with an expressly ideological content and surface structure, aspect which I demonstrate by the rhetoric instruments of rhetoric analysis at the level of the argumentation. Concurrently, the panpedagogism which characterises the whole cultural activity of the Scoala Ardeleana is extant in this memorandum as well by the deployment of the peculiar methods of the discursive didactic strategy. Therefore, this lesson of history is at the same time an authentic lesson of rhetoric, which has not been adequately revealed so far in the literature. In this analysis, I hope to accentuate in another way some of the coordinates underlying the crucial contribution of the Scoala Ardeleana to the modernisation of the Romanian culture and, implicitly, to its integration into the circuit of the greater culture (European and universal). The concerned methodology is the linguistic approach – general rhetoric analysis (with elements of the theory of argumentation), semantic analysis and pragma-stylistic analysis.
Keywords: rhetoric mechanisms, logical evaluation, tasological evaluation, tropological evaluation, persuasive value
- Blaga, Lucian. The Romanian thinking in Transylvania
along the 18th century. Bucureşti, Ed. Ştiinţifică, 1996.
- Ene, Ana. “Şcoala Ardeleană” and its types of discourse
– a contrastive perspective. Braşov, Ed. Univ.
„Transilvania”, 2008, 294 p.
- Fugariu, Florea. Şcoala Ardeleană., anthology, vol. I,
Bucureşti, Ed. Minerva, 1983, 951 p.
- Kerbrat-Orecchioni, Catherine. L’Enonciation. De la
subjectivité dans la langage. (The enunciation. The subjectiveness
in language) Paris, A. Colin, 1980
- Perelman, C.; Olbrechts-Tyteca. L. Traité de
L’Argumenmtation. La Nouvelle Rhétorique. (The tractate of
the argumentation) Editions de L’Université de Bruxelles,
5 edition, 1992
- Pervain, Iosif. Ion Budai-Deleanu. Unpublished
scriptures. Cluj, Ed. Dacia, 1970, 476 p.
- Popovici, Dimitrie. Literary studies. The Romanian
literature in the “enlightenment” epoch. Cluj, Ed. Dacia,
1972, 523 p.
- Prodan, David. Supplex Libellus Valachorum. From the
building-up of the Romanian people history. Bucureşti, Ed.
Enciclopedică, 1998, 620 p.
- Rovenţa-Frumuşani, Daniela. The argumentation.
Models and strategies. Bucureşti, Ed. Bic All, 2000
- Sălăvăstru, Constantin. The criticism of the discursive
rationality. Iaşi, Ed. Polirom, 2001
- ***. The rhetoric and poetic terminology. Iaşi, Ed. Univ.
„Al. I. Cuza”, 1994
- Toulmin, Stephen Edelston. Les usages de
l’argumentation. (the translate of the volume The use of
arguments), Paris, PUF, 1993
- Tuţescu, Mariana. L’Argumentation. Introduction à
l’étude du discours. (The argumentation. Introduction in the
discourse research) Bucureşti, Ed. Univ. din Bucureşti,