Academia Română, Filiala Iaşi, Institutul de Cercetări Economice şi Sociale „Gh. Zane“ Romanian Academy, Iaşi Branch, „Gh. Zane“ Institute for Economical and Social Research
E-mail personal autor:
3-4 / 2011
The Liberal and The Deliberative Democracy
This study has in view the qualities and the deficiencies of two dominant patterns in the contemporary theory of democracy: the liberal pattern and the deliberative one. The liberal pattern has got as a finality the rational individual who posses rights. The deliberative pattern has got as finality the social participation and cooperation between individuals. Although both patterns have been criticized because of their constituent structure, a cooperation between their ideas can be the great advantage of the theory of democracy at the begining of the third millenium.
Keywords: democracy, liberalism, rational deliberation, epistemic patterns
- Benhabib, Seyla (ed.), 1996, Democracy and Difference. Contesting the Boundaries of the Politics, Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Bohman, James, Rehg, William (eds.), 1997, Deliberative Democracy, Essays on Reason and Politics, Cambridge: The MIT Press.
- Dahl, Robert A., 2000, Poliarhiile. Participare şi opoziţie, translation by Mihaela Sadovschi, Iaşi: Institutul European.
- Dryzek, John S., 2000, Deliberative democracy and beyond: liberals, critics, contestations, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Elster, Jon (ed.), 1998, Deliberative Democracy, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Gutman, Amy, Thompson, Dennis, 1997, Democracy and Disagreement, Cambridge: The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press.
- Habermas, Jurgen, 1991, Moral Consciousness and Comunnicative Action, Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Habermas, Jurgen, 1996, Between Facts and Norms: Contributions to a Discourse Theory of Law and Democracy, Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Held, David, 2000a Modele ale democraţiei, translation by Cipriana Petre, Bucureşti: Univers .
- Held, David, 2000b, Democraţia şi ordinea globală, translation by Florin Şlapac and Gabriela Inea, Bucureşti: Editura Univers.
- Huzum, Eugen, 2006a, „Fundaţionismul azi, ‘mort’ sau ‘în viaţă’”, I, Symposion, tom IV, nr. 7, Iaşi: Editura Academiei.
- Huzum, Eugen, 2006b, Fundaţionismul azi, ‘mort’ sau ‘în viaţă’”, II, Symposion, tom IV, nr. 8, Iaşi: Editura Academiei.
- Huzum, Eugen, 2008, „Are nevoie întemeierea democraţiei de fundamente?”, Anuarul Universităţii „Petre Andrei” din Iaşi. Stiinţe socio-umane, Serie nouă, tomul III, Iaşi, Institutul European, 2008.
- Lefort, Claude, 1988, Democracy and Political Theory, Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Marti, Jose Luis, 2006, 27-56. „The Epistemic Conception of Deliberative Democracy Defended. Reasons, Rightness and Equal Political Autonomy”, in Deliberative Democracy and its Discontents, ed. Samantha Besson and Jose Luis Marti, Asghate Publishing Limited.
- Macedo, Stephen (ed.), 1999, Deliberative Politics. Essays on Democracy and Disagreement, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Miller, David (ed.), 2000, Enciclopedia Blackwell a gândirii politice, translation by Dragan Stoianovici, Bucureşti: Humanitas.
- Parkinson, John, 2006, Deliberating in the Real World. Problems of Legitimacy in Deliberative Democracy, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Platon, 1986, Opere V, Republica, Bucureşti, Editura Ştiinţifică şi Enciclopedică,)
- Rawls, John, 1997, „The Idea of Public Reason Revisited”, University of Chicago Law Review 74.
- Rawls, John, 2006, Political Liberalism, New York: Columbia University Press.
- Sartori, Giovanni, 1999, Teoria democraţiei reinterpretată, translation by Doru Pop,Iaşi: Polirom.
- Schumpeter, Joseph, 1943, Capitalism, Socialism and Democracy, New York: Harper&Row.
- Tamaş, Sergiu, 1996, Dicţionar politic. Instituţiile democraţiei şi cultura civică, second edition, Bucureşti: Şansa.