Academia Română, Filiala Iaşi Romanian Academy, Iaşi Branch
E-mail personal autor:
11 / 2011
On education and dysfunctions in contemporary Romanian society. The contemporary nature of Petre Andrei’s vision
Starting from Petre Andrei’s visionary conception, which, in its entirety, referred to a wide array of issues specific to the interwar society, this study focuses on a series of dysfunctions visible in the Romanian society from a perspective which belongs to recent history.
As the themes covered in the scholar’s works are too large to be confined to a few pages, this article concentrates on the analysis of the current Romanian education system and takes as reference Petre Andrei’s ideas.
The contemporary nature of the things he noticed almost a century ago is truly spectacular. Moreover, what he conveyed is particularly useful if we wish to capture the mechanisms which allow the perpetuation of failures. What we attempt to show here is a brief inventory of some of the most harmful dysfunctions while trying to reveal their deep-rooted causes.
Without pretending to produce an all-encompassing analysis of Petre Andrei’s work, we are only making un incursion which would help us to apply the principles he employed in the analysis of society. Beyond the historical perspective, we are particularly interested in the educational field and, specifically, in the Romanian education seen from an axiological standpoint.
Keywords: Petre Andrei, dysfunctions, education, interwar society, contemporary society
- Andrei, Petre, Instrucţia publică / Public instruction, in Despre ideal, despre fericire. Valorile Estetice şi teoria empatiei. Etica. Prelegeri. Instrucţia Publică / On ideal, on happines. Aesthetic values and the theory of empathy. Ethics. Readings. Public Instruction, Tome IV, vol. I, Editura Tipo Moldova, Iaşi, 2010.
- Andrei, Petre, Criza culturii şi rolul Universităţii / The crisis of culture and the role of University, in Sociologia revoluţiei. Studii de sociologie politică / Sociology of revolution. Studies of political sociology, Editura Polirom, Iaşi, 1998.
- Andrei, Petre, Discursuri parlamentare 1929-1933 / Parliamentary speeches 1929-1933, Editura Ankarom, Iaşi, 1996.
- Andrei, Petre, Sociologie generală / General sociology, Vth ed., introductory study by Dumitru Stan, Editura Universităţii „Al.I.Cuza”, Iaşi, 2010.
- Borza, Cosmin, „Privatizarea” învăţământului superior? / The buyout of higher education?, 1st par., in Dilema Veche no. 348, 14 -20 October 2010, online at http://www.dilemaveche.ro/sectiune/educatie/articol/privatizarea-invatamintului-superior .
- Colceriu, Ştefan, Manifest realist pentru recuperarea studiilor clasice / Realist manifesto for the recovery of classical studies, 4th par., in Dilema veche, no. 366, 17-23 February 2011, online at http://www.dilemaveche.ro/sectiune/educatie/articol/manifest-realist-recuperarea-studiilor-clasice .
- Fundaţia pentru o Societate Deschisă, Barometrul de opinie publică / The barometer of the public opinion, România 2004, The Gallup Organization România, Metrou Media Transilvania.
- Ministerul Educaţiei, Cercetării, Tineretului şi Sportului, Barometrul calităţii în educaţie, nr.1. 2007 – 2008 / The barometer of quality in education, no. 1, 2007-2008, Bucureşti, 2009, online at http://administraresite.edu.ro/index.php/articles/11846 .
- Pitulac, Tudor & Năstuţă, Sebastian, Social stratification in contemporary Romania. A phase picture: 2007, in Abstract Book of The 8th Conference of the European Sociological Association – Conflict, Citizenship and Civil Society, p. 422, Caledonian University & University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, 2007.
- Semenescu, Mara, Student bolognez / Bolognese student, in Dilema veche no. 348, 14 -20 October 2010, online at http://www.dilemaveche.ro/sectiune/educatie/articol/student-bolognez.
- Stan, Dumitru, Studiu introductiv / Introductory study at Petre, Andrei, Sociologie generală / General sociology, Vth ed., Editura Universităţii „Al.I.Cuza”, Iaşi, 2010.
- Şerban, Sorana, Studenţii români din străinătate, cu gândul la România / Romanian students abroad, thinking about Romania, in Dilema Veche no. 361, 13 – 19 January 2011, online at http://www.dilemaveche.ro/sectiune/educatie/articol/studen-ii-romani-strainatate-gindul-romania.