Simona Maria CURSARU-HERLEA
Universitatea „Lucian Blaga“ din Sibiu, Facultatea de Istorie şi Patrimoniu ‚‚Nicolae Lupu“’ „Lucian Blaga” University of Sibiu, Faculty of History and Patrimony
E-mail personal autor:
9 / 2011
Considerations Regarding Earthen-Buckets Found at Capidava
Problems of Conservation and Restoration
The systematic archaeological research made at Capidava led to the discovering of a rich ceramics material, dated Early Middle Ages, and made up from objects of different shapes and sizes. Among these are also to be found Earthen- buckets with round bottom. They represent though a common founding among archaeological material, if we speak of X-th to XIII-th centuries, found not only in nowadays’ Romania, but also found in the big space from Don to Middle Danube. Even though Earthen- buckets from Capidava occupy a special place in archaeological monographs, I felt the need to bring some further information, providing the second part of this study to be dedicated to problems of conservation- restoration of some of them, pursuing the technology and the principles used in restoring works of art.
Keywords: Romania, Dobroudja, Capidava, Middle Ages, Archaeological research, Earthen- buckets, conservation- restoration.
- Lukacs Antal, “Observations Regarding the Spread of Earthen- Buckets in Romania”, in SCIVA, 35, 1984, 4, pages 320-330.
- Silvia Baraschi, “An Oven Used to Burn Ceramics from Păcuiul lui Soare (XI-th Century)”, in SCIVA, XXV, 1974, no. 3, pages 461-472.
- Emilia Corbu, “The South of Romania During the Early Middle Ages (VIII-th to XI-th Centuries). Archaeological Views”, Brăila, 2006.
- Simona Maria Cursaru-Herlea, “Capidava- a Millenary Citadel in Dobroudja”, in Transilvania, nr 1, 2009, pages 16-23.
- Simona Maria Cursaru-Herlea, “Considerations Regarding the Conservation and Restoration of Early Middle Ages’ Ceramics found at Capidava”, in Studia Universitatis Cibiniensis. Series Historica. , VI, 2009, p. 249-262.
- Petre Diaconu, “Regarding Earthen- Buckets in Early Middle Ages (X-th to XIII-th centuries)”, in SCIV, 7, 1956, 3-4, p.421-439.
- Petre Diaconu, “Again On Earthen- Buckets” in Archaeological Reviews and Debatings I, Călăraşi, 1994, p. 155-168.
- Gr. Florescu, R. Florescu, P. Diaconu, “Capidava. Archaeological Monograph”, volume I, Bucharest, 1958.
- Gr. Florescu, Ştefan Constantinescu, P. Diaconu, Mişu Davidescu, Radu Florescu, Gavrilă Simion, Capidava. “Report on Archaeological Activity from 1956”, in MCA, 5, 1959, p. 555-559.
- Florescu, Z. Covacef, “Stratigraphy of Late Roman and Early Middle Age Capidava” in Pontica, 21-22, 1988-1989, p. 197-247.
- Florescu, “Middle Bizantynum Hut from Capidava and It’s Role in Stratiotan Family”, Session Days of Romanian Anthropology- Universe of Home, Sibiu 2001 (the volume brings together the sessions from Sibiu from 1999-2001), Sibiu, 2004, p. 253-261 also http://www. capidava. ro, 06. 08. 2009.
- Ileana Ildico Zahariade, “Is Conservation of Ceramics Held Inside an Unavoidable Necessity?” in Restitutio. Conservation- Restoration Bulletin, no. 2, 2009, p. 57-58.
- Anca Păunescu, “Archaeological Site from Târgşorul Vechi”, in CA, I, 1975, p. 230-234.
- Anca Păunescu, “Earthen- Buckets with Interior Handles Found at Târgşor, Prahova County”, in CA, II, 1976, p. 305-310.
- Dan Gh. Teodor, “Some Observations Regarding Earthen- Buckets Found at Răducăneni (r. Huşi, reg. Iaşi)” in SCIV, 14, 1963, 1, p. 197-206.
- Dan Gh. Teodor, “Dridu Culture on Moldavian Territory” in SCIVA, 19, 2, 1968, p. 227-278.
- Barbu Slătineanu, “Studies of Folk Art”, Bucharest, 1972.
- Victor Spinei, “The Big Migrations in Northern Pontic Region Between the IX-th and the XIII-th Centuries”, Iaşi, 1995.
- Gh. Ştefan, I. Barnea, Maria Comşa, Eugen Comşa, “Dinogeţia, I, Early Feudal Settlement From Garvăn Little Church”, Bucharest, 1967.