Universitatea „Lucian Blaga” din Sibiu, Facultatea de Ştiinţe Socio-Umane “Lucian Blaga University” of Sibiu, Faculty of Social and Human Sciences
E-mail personal autor:
4 / 2014
“Tree of Life” in the Portals of Saxon Churches from Ocna Sibiului, Vurpăr, Drăuşeni
Among complex scenes, which appear on the portals oh Romanesque churches built by German Saxons in Transylvania, several sculptures are focused on the theme of tree of life. Versions that occur in this geographical area have several features, developed from formal models coming from the original places of the Saxon colonists, integrated in monuments built in their new settlements. In terms of iconography, the image of the tree of life was one of the best ways to highlight the valorization of zoomorphic elements in new versions, presented at churches from Ocna Sibiului, Vurpăr and Drăuşeni.
Keywords: Church, Saxons, iconography, Romanesque, portal, sculpture, tree of life, Vurpăr, Ocna Sibiului, Drăuşeni, Transylvania, Sibiu County
- Braun Suzanne, Sculpture romane en Alsace / The Romanesque Sculpture in Alsace, Strasbourg, 2002;
- Cocagnac Maurice, Simbolurile biblice (lexic teologic) / The Biblical Symbols (a theological lexicon, Bucureşti, 1997;
- Gerevich Tibor, Magyarország Románkori Emlékei / The History of the Hungarian Romanesque, Budapesta, 1938;
- Kaposy Veronika, Életfa ábrázolas egy románkory timpanonon / The Representation of Tree of Life in the Romanesque Tympanums, în Művészettörténeti értesítő V, Budapesta, 1956;
- Mogens Rud, The Bayeux Tapestry and the Battle of Hastings 1066, Copenhagen, 1992;
- Roth Victor, Geschichte der Deutschen Baukunst in Siebenbürgen / The History of the German Architecture in Transylvania, Strassburg, 1905;
- Vătăşianu Virgil, Istoria artei feudale în Ţările Române / The History of the Feudal Art in The Romanian Countries, Bucureşti, 1959;
- Weiss Markus, L’église paroissiale Saint Pierre, în Bavière romane / The Parochial Church Saint Pierre in the Romanesque Bavaria, Zodiaque, 1995.