Universitatea „Lucian Blaga” din Sibiu, Centrul de Cercetări Filologice şi Interculturale “Lucian Blaga” University of Sibiu, The Centre for Philological and Intercultural Research
E-mail personal autor:
Biographism, Confession, Individuation. Poetry between Psychocriticism and Sociopoetics
The present study departs from the refutal of Proust’s famous distinction between the artistic and the social egos from Contre Sainte-Beuve. The social person and the creative ego cannot be perfectly isolated, as the French writer states, since the psyche which creates comes within the text and instils it with a whole psychological (and therefore social, and political, and economical a.s.o.) context. Recent literary theory has developed a new type of biographical and social approach free from the mechanical determinism of the old biographical school, and therefore fertile and useful in its approaches. Understood as the confession of a psyche with social and political extensions, literature is fruitfully approachable via these new theories regarding the „modern mises-en-scènes of the author”, as Jérôme Meizoz calls them in his influential studies.
Keywords: biographical theories of literature, biographism, sociopoetics, psychocriticism, confessional poetry, literature as confession, Jérôme Meizoz
- Judith Harris, Signifying Pain. Constructing and Healing the Self through Writing, State University of New York Press, 2003
- R.D. Laing, The Divided Self: An Existential Study in Sanity and Madness, Tavistock Publications, 1960
- David Martens, La fabrique d’une notion. Entretien avec Jérôme Meizoz au sujet du concept de posture / The Making of a Notion. Interview with Jérôme Meizoz on the Topic of the Concept of Posture, in Interférences littéraires, nr. 6, mai 2011, pp. 199-212.
- Postures littéraires. Mises en scènes modernes de l’auteur. Essai / Literary Postures. Modern Mises-en-scène of the Author. Essay, Slatkine Erudition, Genève, 2007
- Jérôme Meizoz, La Fabrique de singularités. Postures littéraires II / The Singularities Factory. Literary Postures 2, Slatkine Erudition, Genève, 2011
- Michel Onfray, Le désir d’être un volcan. Journal hédoniste / The Desire of Being a Volcano. Hedonistic Diary, Grasset, 1996
- Antonio Patraş, Ibrăileanu: către o teorie a personalităţi. Eseu despre literatura criticilor / Ibrăileanu: Towards a Theory of the Personality. Essay on the Literature of the Critics,
Bucureşti, Cartea Românească, 2007
- Antonio Patraş, Literatură şi biografie. În căutarea omului din carte / Literature and Biography. In the Quest of the Man in the Book, Iaşi, Timpul, 2011
- Antonio Patraş, Scriitorul şi umbra sa. Geneza formei în literatura lui E. Lovinescu / The Writer and His Shadow. The Genesis of Form in the Literature of E. Lovinescu, vol. I-II, Iaşi, Institutul European, 2013
- Robert Phillips, The Confessional Poets, Southern Illinois University Press, 1973
- Claudia Rankine, The First Person in the Twenty-First Century în After Confession. Poetry as Autobiography, ed. by Kate Sontag & David Graham, Saint Paul, Minnesota, Graywolf Press, 2001 Kate Sontag, David Graham (eds.), After Confession. Poetry as Autobiography, Graywolf Press, 2001
- Alain Viala, Eléments de sociopoétique / Elements of Sociopoetics, in Alain Viala, Georges Molinié, Approches de la réception. Sociopoétique et sémiostilistique de Le Clézio / Approaches of Reception. Sociopoetics and Semiostylistics at Le Clézio, PUF, 1993, pp. 139-220.