Institutul de Cercetări Socio-Umane Sibiu Institute for Research in Social Sciences and Humanities from Sibiu
E-mail personal autor:
4 / 2014
Saxon Romanesque Architecture from Transylvanian through View of a few Case Studies
In this study we present three, very suggestive, case studies about the gradual development of the Romanesque style from the German settlement located in southern Transylvania. The first analyzed monument is the church of Cisnădioara (built beginning with the end of 12th Century). This is the oldest Romanesque monument which was kept unchanged until our days and is one of the main elements in the evolution of Romanesque architecture in Transylvania. The second investigated monument is basilica from Alţâna; it was built in the first half of 13th Century and has more elaborated shapes than Cisnădioara. The third and the final monument that interested us is basilica with gallery from Cincu; this is the largest and most sumptuous Romanesque church of the Saxons, being more advanced as a concept than those from Sibiu and Cisnădie.
Keywords: Romanesque Architecture, Basilica, 13th Century, Transylvania, Cisnădioara, Alţâna, Cincu
- G. Bandmann, Mittelalterliche Architektur als Bedeutungsträger / Medieval Architecture as Bearer of Meaning, Berlin 1951.
- H. Fabini, Atlas der siebenbürgisch-sächsischen Kirchenburgen und Dorfkirchen / Atlas of Transylvanian Saxon Fortified and Village Churches, Sibiu 1998.
- K. Heusi, Kompendium der Kirchengeschichte / Compendium of Church History, Tübingen 1981.
- W. Horwath, Siebenbürgisch-sächsische Kirchenburgen / Transylvanian Saxon Fortified Churches, Sibiu 1931.
- W. Müller, G. Vogel, Atlas zur Baukunst / Atlas of Architecture, vol. II, München 1981.
- P. Niedermaier, Concepţia bisericilor romanice din Transilvania (Die Konzeption der romanischen Kirchen Siebenbürgens) / The Conception of Romanic Churches in Transylvania, in „Ars Transilvanica”, vol. IV, Cluj-Napoca 1996, p. 5-25.
- V. Vătăşianu, Istoria artei feudale în ţările române / History of Medieval Art in the Romanian Countries, Bucureşti 1959.