Răzvan Mihai NEAGU
Colegiul Tehnic Turda
E-mail personal autor:
5-6 / 2018
The Orthodoxy from Turda in the First Half of the 18th Century Between Survival and Institutional Reconstruction
The Union with the Church of Rome determined at Turda the disappearance of the Orthodox deanery for a period of more than half a century. However, Orthodoxy in the Turda region survived, an important role being played by the priests from neighboring localities and especially by the believers, who did not accept the union. Following the reaction of Orthodox forces led by Visarion Sarai and Sofronie of Cioara, a large part of the population of Turda and beyond returned to Orthodoxy, so that this community of faith was the largest, from a numerical point of view, at the beginning of the second half of the 18th century. As the documents of the time records, for a good period of time, the Orthodox believers in Turda did not have a priest. With the appointment to the leadership of the Orthodox Church in Transylvania of bishop Dionisie Novacovich, the Orthodox community in Turda received a priest, Job Baciu certified in 1763 and the Orthodox Deanery of Turda was re-established, the hierarch naming a holder of this church dignity, Irimie Vaida, attested in 1767.
Keywords: Turda, Orthodox Church, Union with Rome, Transylvania, Deanery.