Universitatea de Vest din Timişoara, Facultatea de Ştiinţe Politice, Filosofie şi Ştiinţe ale Comunicării
E-mail personal autor:
2 / 2015
Metaphysicians, newspapers, devils and …wine at E. A. Poe (I)
E. A. Poe had a different view on philosophers and philosophy, leading critics of his work to conclude that he had a rather negative opinion of this spiritual realm and of those studying it. However, on closer look, one can notice a few nuances, such as the difference between metaphysicians and philosophers, the former making up a category within the wider borders of philosophy. Nevertheless, in his writings, Poe would often refer to profound philosophical ideas, sometimes mystical, whereas, in some cases, he would also descend from the higher spheres and highlight more worldly domains, of practical philosophy, such as… gastronomy or oenology, or even the pleasure of consuming wine during heated debates.
Keywords: E. A. Poe, journalism, metaphysicians, devil, wine, newsroom, philosophy
- L. Moffitt Cecil, „Poe’s Wine List”, Poe Studies, December 1972, vol. V, nr. 2, pp. 41-42.
- Collected Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Tales and Setches 1843-1849, vol. II, The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts London, England, 1978.
- Collected Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Tales and Setches 1843-1849, vol. III, The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts London, England, 1978
- Poe, E. A., Prăbuşirea Casei Usher/The Fall of the House Usher, Ed. Univers, Bucureşti, 1990.
- Szabo, Lucian-Vasile, The Facts in the Case of E. A. Poe, Postmodern Openings, iunie 2013, pp. 7-21.