Institutul Teologic Ortodox din Cernăuţi, Departamentul de jurnalism şi Traduceri Chernivtsi Orthodox Theological Institute, Department of journalism and Translations
E-mail personal autor:
5-6 / 2014
The First Romanian Printing House in Habsburg Bucovina
(the second half of the XIX-th century)
The Romanians of Habsburg Bucovina (of the XIXth century) felt a stringent urge to have their own printing house. This matter took place back in 1848 when the Hurmuzaki brothers published the first Romanian paper entitled „Bucovina” (1848-1850) which appeared in two columns, one Romanian and the other German and had been edited by themselves. The Hurmuzaki paper had been printed at Ioan Eckhardt’s printing house, at the times, the only printing house in Czernowitz, which was fairly missing necessary letter forms to print a Romanian newspaper. The Hurmuzaki brothers had tried to publish the paper in Lviv and Vienna, though the communication means being of significant difficulties and sacrifices, they insisted Ioan Eckhardt to procure the necessary letter forms to be able to print a Romanian newspaper. An attempt to obtain a concession for a printing house was made by the abbot of Putna Monastery, Artemon Bortnic, who requested an establishment of the diocesan printing house to the diocesan consistory back in 1853. The King did not approve the request for a Romanian diocesan printing house to be founded, although three of that kind, namely Petrowski, Czopp and Kerekjarto printing houses appeared in the meantime in Cernauti. In 1882, as a result of an incentive of the worthy Metropolitan Bishop Silvestru Morariu-Andrievici it was decided to publish the church journal “Candela” which dates its first edition in July 1st, 1882 at the Wilhelm Kerekjarto’s publishing house. The latter would later sell his own printing house to the Romanians who would start printing schoolbooks and „Candela” journal. The first founder of the Romanian printing house in Bucovina, called „Archbishopric Printing House”, later to become part of the Metropolitan Residence, was the famous Romanian Metropolitan Bishop Dr. Silvestru Morariu-Andrievici. The patron Metropolitan Bishop in quality of a vice-president of the Association of Romanian Culture and Literature in
Bucovina, proved a successful literary figure, author of numerous manuals, editor and spreader of Romanian culture in Bucovina.
Keywords: archdiocesan printing house, culture, Habsburg Bucovina, typography, the Hurmuzaki brothers
- Bucevschi, Dimitrie. 25 years of the activity of the Bukovinian Typographic Society from Cernăuţi, 1897-1922 (25 de ani de activitate a Societăţii Tipografice Bucovinene din Cernăuţi, 1897-1922), Cernăuţi, December 1922.
- Bucevschi, Dimitrie. A life of a man as his people’s servant (A historical sketch about Bishop Silvestru’s Typography. (O viaţă de om în slujba neamului (Schiţă istorică despre Tipografia Mitropolitul Silvestru)), Cernăuţi, 1937.
- Hrehor, Constantin. Silvestru Morariu Andrievici, (Silvestru Morariu Andrievici), Timpul, Iaşi, 2009.
- Loghin, Constantin. The history of the Romanian literature in Bukovina 1775-1918 The Publishing House Alexandru cel Bun, (Istoria literaturii române din Bucovina 1775-1918), Editura Alexandru cel Bun, Cernăuţi, 1996.
- Luceac, Ilie. The Hurmuzaki Family: between ideal and the realization (A history of the Romanian culture from Bukovina in the second half of the nineteenth century) The Publishing House Alexandru cel Bun, Cernăuţi, The Publishing House Augusta, Timişoara, 2000.
- (Familia Hurmuzaki: între ideal şi realizare (O istorie a culturii româneşti din Bucovina în cea de a doua jumătate a secolului al XIX-lea), Editura Alexandru cel Bun – Cernăuţi, Editura Augusta, Timişoara, 2000.
- Luceac, Ilie. Some considerations in regard to the family origin of the painter Epaminonda A. Bucevschi, in the „Glasul Bucovinei”, An. II, nr 3(7), 1995, p.19 (Unele consideraţii cu privire la originea familiei pictorului Epaminonda A. Bucevschi), în „Glasul Bucovinei”, An. II, nr. 3(7), 1995, p. 19.
- Nussbächer, Gernot. Die Überraschung im Bucheinband. Neue Erkenntnisse über die Anfänge der Hermannstädter Druckerei, in „Karpatenrundschau, Kronstädter Wochenschrift”, 42.(53.) Jg., Nr. 42(3041), from September 10, 2009, p. III.
- Nussbächer, Gernot. New contributions to the history of Sibiu typography during the sixteenth-seventeenth centuries, from „The chronicles and the charts”, Publishing house Kriterion, 1987 (Noi contribuţii la istoria tiparului sibian în secolele XVI-XVII), în „Din cronici şi hrisoave”, Ed. Kriterion, 1987.
- Popa, Liliana. People and books of Sibiu in the old times. Typographers and typograhs, bibliophiles and bibliographies, librarians and libraries documented, Shiller Publishing House, Sibiu, 2010 (Oameni şi cărţi în Sibiul de altădată. Tipografi şi tiparniţe, bibliofili şi biblioteci, librari şi librării în mărturii documentare), Schiller Verlag, Hermannstadt//Editura Schiller, Sibiu, 2010.
- Sbiera, I. Gh. The Sbiera family in traditions and history and Memories from the author’s life, Cernăuţi, University Ed. House, edited by Eckhardt, 1899, Tipografia universitară, î. r. a lui Eckhardt, 1899. (Familia Sbiera după tradiţie şi istorie şi Amintiri din viaţa autorului), Cernăuţi, Tipografia universitară, î. r. a lui Eckhardt, 1899.
- Valenciuc, Dumitru. Bucovina’s hierarchy, Suceava, 2001; Idem, The Romanian Orthodox church fund of Bucovina, the „Mioriţa” collecion, Câmpulung- Bucovina, 2010; Idem, (Ierarhii Bucovinei, Suceava, 2001; Idem, Fondul Bisericesc Ortodox Român din Bucovina, Biblioteca „Mioriţa”, Câmpulung-Bucovina, 2010; Idem, Anxious of a typography for 100 years now, in „Candela. The theological and cultural journal of Archiebiscopate of Suceava and Radauti” VI, Suceava, 1983, nr. 8, August, 9-10; nr. 9, September – October (Zbucium pentru o tipografie, acum 100 de ani), în „Candela, Revistă de teologie şi cultură a Arhiepiscopiei Sucevei şi Rădăuţilor”, VI, Suceava, 1983, nr. 8, august, 9-10; nr. 9, septembrie-octombrie.
- Zsolt, Simon. First prints from Transilvania (Sibiu, 1525) in „The annual of the Historical Institute „G. Baritiu” from Cluj-Napoca”, vol. XLVI, p.89-106 (Primele tipărituri din Transilvania) (Sibiu, 1525) în „Anuarul Institutului de Istorie «G. Bariţiu» din Cluj-Napoca”, tom XLVI, p. 89-106.