Institutul de Cercetări Socio-Umane Sibiu The Institute of Socio-Human Research – Sibiu
E-mail personal autor:
10 / 2011
ASTRA’s preoccupations concerning the creation of a national theatre for Transylvanian Romanians
In the second half of the 19th century, the Romanian population in Transylvania were steeped in a traditional folk culture which was having its undeniable merits, yet was a self-sufficient one, confined to itself. Romanians had to withstand the prejudices and, rather often than not, the scorn of the other ethnicities in the Empire, which called for their taking major actions, in order not to remain at the perifery of Transylvania’s multinational society. Astra‘s leaders have realized this imperative and their sustained efforts of founding cutural institutions had a decisive role in the spiritual emancipation of the Romanian population. A most notable institution which they founded was the short-lived Society for the Romanian Theater Fund. This paper pins down the important moments in the evolution of the two institutions that contributed to the influential prime role of the Astra Society in Romanians’ cultural history.
Keywords: Astra, theatrical movement, cultural action, national theater, drama, Transylvania.
- Actele privitoare la urzirea şi înfiinţarea Asociaţiunii transilvane pentru literatura română şi cultura poporului român / Official Papers of the Initiating and Founding of the Transylvanian Association for Romanian Literature and the Culture of the Romanian People, Sibiu, 1862.
- Anuarul III al Societăţii, 1899-1900/ The Third Annuary of the Association. Braşov, 1900.
- Astra. 1861-1950. 125 de ani de la înfiinţare / 125 Years since Its Founding, coordonator Victor V. Grecu, Sibiu, 1987.
- Colecţia Revistei Transilvania / The Collection of the Transylvania Review.
- Drimba, Lucian, Istoricul societăţii pentru fond de teatru roman in Ardeal / The History of the Society for the Fund of Romanian Theatre in Transylvania, Oradea, Editura Societatea de Ştiinţe Filologice din RSR, 1969.
- Dragoman, Corneliu, Dramaturgia şi teatrul în acţiunile culturalizatoare al Astrei / Drama and Theatrical Performance in Astra’s Cultural Activities, colecţia Biblioteca Astra, Sibiu, 1998.
- Fond Astra, la Direcţia Judeţeană Sibiu a Arhivelor Statului / The Astra Papers, in the Sibiu County State Archives.
- Matei, Pamfil, Astra. Asociaţiunea transilvană pentru literatura română şi cultura poporului român 1861- 1950 / The Transylvanian Association for Romanian Literature and the Culture of the Romanian People, Cluj-Napoca, Editura Dacia, 1986.
- Matei, Pamfil, Asociaţiunea în lumina documentelor (1861-1950). Noi contribuţii / The Association Reflected in Documents (1861-1950). New Contributions, Sibiu, Editura Universităţii „Lucian Blaga”, 2005.
- G. Preda, Activitatea Astrei în 25 de ani de la Unire / The Activity of Astra in the first 25 Years after the Union (1918-1943), Sibiu, Biblioteca Astra, 1944
- Revista Luceafărul / The Luceafărul Review, 1905.