Universitatea de Vest Timișoara, Facultatea de Litere, Istorie și Teologie, cercetător postdoctoral
E-mail personal autor:
2 / 2015
Istorie si studii culturale
Experimentation and amelioration in the works of John Evelyn
In this paper I will argue that we can trace an undulating line between the Hartlib Circle and the Royal Society based on the interest for husbandry, experimentation, and amelioration. If in the years preceding the 1660s husbandry focused more on technological projects of amelioration of the fallen nature (soil, plants, human beings as well), starting with the beginning of the Royal Society, the accent moved from spiritual salvation to experimental purposes. This shift of attention is present in John Evelyn’s approach of the topic. In the late 1650s, Evelyn’s vision on husbandry entailed the moral dimension of religious salvation, while in the 1660s, he minimized his interest for religious purposes and turned his attention to experiments and “scientific” aspiration.
Keywords: husbandry, experimentation, amelioration, John Evelyn, the Hartlib Circle
- Austen, Ralph. A Treatise of Fruit-Trees … Togeather with The Spiritual use of an Orchard. Oxford, Tho Robinson, 1653, 97+41 p.
- Austen, Ralph. A Treatise of Fruit-Trees…Whereunto is annexed Observations upon Sr F. Bacon’s Natural History…The third impression, revised, with additions, etc. Oxford, William Hall for Amos Curteyne, 1665, 408 p.
- Austen, Ralph. Observations on Bacons Natural History as it concerns, Fruit-Trees, Fruits, and Flowers. Oxford, 1658, 46 p.
- Bacon, Francis. The Preface, Instauratio Magna and Distributio Operis. În: The Works of Francis Bacon, ed. James Spedding, Robert Leslie Ellis, Douglas Denon Heath. Stuttgart-Bad Cannstatt, Friedrich FrommannVerlag—Günther Holzboog, 14 vols., vol I, 844 p.
- Bacon, Francis. Sylva sylvarum or a Natural History in Ten Centuries. London, W. Lee, 1627, 266+47p.
- Bacon, Francis. Historia vitae et mortis. Io. Haviland, 1623, 454 p.
- Blith, Walter. The English Improver Improved or the Survey of Husbandry Surveyed. Discovering the Improueableness of all Lands: Some to be under a double and Treble others under a Five or Six Fould. And many under a Tenn fould, yea Some under a Twenty fould Improuement, The third impression much augmented. London, 1653, 274 p.
- Evelyn, John. Sylva, Or a Discourse of Forest-Trees, and the Propagation of Timber in His Majesties Dominions As it was Deliver’d in the Royal Society the 15 of October,1662, upon Occasion of certain Queries Propounded to that Illustrious Assembly, by the Honorable the Principal Officers, and Commisioners of the Navy. To which is annexed Pomona Or, An Appendix concerning Fruit-Trees in realtion to Cider; The Making and several ways of Ordering it, Published by express Order of the Royal Society. Also Kalendarium Hortense; Or, Gard’ners Almanac; Directing what he is to do Monethly throughout the Year. London, Printed by Jo. Martyn, and Ja. Allestry, Printers to the Royal Society, and are to be sold at their Shop at the Bell in S. Paul’s Church yard, 1664, 120+83 p.
- Evelyn, John. Elysium Britannicum, or the Royal Gardens. Ed. John E. Ingram, University of Pennsylvania Press, Philadelphia, 2001, 496 p.
- Hunter, Michael. Establishing the New Science; The Experience of the Early Royal Society. Woodbridge, Boydell Press, 1989, xiv+382 p.
- Leslie, Michael. The Spiritual Husbandry of John Beale. În: Culture and Cultivation in Early Modern England: Writing and the Land, coord. Michael Leslie, Tinothy Raylor, Leicester, Leicester University Press, 1992, p.151-172.
- Low, Anthony. The Georgic Revolution. Princeton, Princeton University Press, 1985, 382 p.
- Matei, Oana. Macaria and the ethics of direct participation in the transformation of the world. În: Societate și Politică, 10/2011, p. 51-65.
- McRae, Andrew. Husbandry Manuals and the Language of Agrarian Improvement. În: Culture and Cultivation in Early Modern England: Writing and the Land, coord. Michael Leslie, Tinothy Raylor. Leicester, Leicester University Press, 1992, p. 35-62.
- Newman, William; Principe, Lawrence. Alchemy vs. Chemistry: The Etymological Origins of a Historiographic Mistake. În: Early Science and Medicine, III, 1/1998, p. 32-65.
- Parry, Graham. John Evelyn as Hortulan Saint. În: Culture and Cultivation in Early Modern England: Writing and the Land, coord. Michael Leslie, Tinothy Raylor, Leicester, Leicester University Press, 1992, p. 130-150.
- Plattes, Gabriel. A Discovery of Infinite Treasure. London, 1639, 92 p.
- Plattes, Gabriel. A Discovery of Subterraneall Treasure. London, 1639, 60p.
- Plattes, Gabriel. The Profitable Intelligencer. London, 1644, HP, PAM 1.
- Plattes, Gabriel. A Description of the Famous Kingdome of Macaria. London, 1641, HP, PAM 07.
- Rees, Graham. Francis Bacon’s Semi-Paracelsian Cosmology. În: Ambix, XXII, 2/1975, p. 81-101.
- Rees, Graham. Francis Bacon’s Semi-Paracelsian Cosmology and the Great Instauration. În: Ambix, XXII, 3/1975, p. 163-173.
- Trevor Roper, Hugh. Three Foreigners: The Philosophers of the Puritan Revolution. În: Religion, the Reformation and Social Change, coord. Hugh Trevor Roper, ediția a treia revizuită, London, Secker and Warburg, 1984, p. 237-293.
- Webster, Charles. The Great Instauration. Science, Medicine and Reform 1626-1660. London, Duckworth, 1975, xvi+630 p.
- Biblia, tipărită sub îndrumarea și cu purtarea de grijă a Prea Fericitului Părinte Teoctist, Patriarhul Bisericii Ortodoxe Române, București, Editura Institutului Biblic și de Misiune al BOR, 1994.
- Letter, Hartlib to [ John Evelyn], 24 sept 1659, [66A]; Letter, Hartlib to John Evelyn, 7 April 1660, British Library Add. MSS 15948 ff.98A-99B, [98B].
- Copy Extracts, ? to Hartlib, sent to Evelyn, September-November 1659, British Library Add. MSS 15948 ff. 71A-75B: 74B blank, [71A] Paris, 12 Sept. 1659.
- Letter, Hartlib to [ John Evelyn], 24 sept 1659, [66B].
- Letter, John Beale to Hartlib, 15 November 1659, 62/25/1A-4B, [62/25/3B].