Academia Română, Filiala Iaşi Romanian Academy, Iaşi Branch
E-mail personal autor:
11 / 2011
Ideological aspects in Petre Andrei’s political sociology
The main intention of this article is to recover a particular way of thinking about politics. It is a way of interpreting political reality situated on the border between philosophy and sociology but which encompasses, in my opinion, a strong ideological resonance. I believe that this resonance is identifiable in the works of Petre Andrei, one of the few sociologists who wrote his thoughts at the beginning of the past century and was immediately acknowledged internationally. More precisely, I believe that one of the fundamental dimensions in Petre Andrei’s works is the one which wagers on the presence of an ideological position. Born in 1891, the Romanian philosopher and sociologist witnessed a series of political events which left a strong mark on the 20th century and my supposition is that this mark is to be found at the level of the ideological interpretation expressed by Andrei in his sociological and political endeavors. Being a personality involved in the spirit of his time, attentive to the evolution of social-political realities, he produced “in real time” – as we would say today – a series of analyses which are now helping us capture the nuances of his social and historical context.
Keywords: Petre Andrei, ideology, interpretative sociology, revolution, fascism, democracy, ideological analysis
- Andrei, Petre, Jurnal, Memorialistică, Corespondenţă / Diary, Memoirs, Correspondence, ed. by Petru P. Andrei, Doru Tompea, Florin Valeriu Dobrinescu, Editura Grafix, Iaşi, 1993.
- Andrei, Petre, Fascismul / Fascism, Editura Neuron, Focşani, 1995.
- Andrei, Petre, Sociologie generală / General sociology, Editura Scrisul Românesc, Craiova, 1936.
- Andrei, Petre, Sociologia revoluţiei. Studii de sociologie politică / Sociology of revolution. Studies of political sociology, Editura Polirom, Fundaţia Academică „Petre Andrei”, Iaşi, 1998.
- Benjamin, Walter, „Critica violenţei” / „Critique of violence”, in Walter Benjamin, Jacques Derrida, Despre violenţă / On violence, Editura Idea Design & Print, Cluj-Napoca, 2004.
- Mannheim, Karl, Ideology and Utopia: An Introduction to the Sociology of Knowledge, Routledge & Kegan Paul, London, 1936 (new edition 1991).
- Mannheim, Karl, Wirth, Louis, On Ideology and Utopia: An Introduction to the Sociology of Knowledge, Routledge & Kegan Paul, London, 1949 (reedited by Kessinger Publishing’s Rare Reprints, New York, 2001).
- Mill, John St., Despre libertate / On freedom, Editura Humanitas, Bucureşti, 1994.
- Stan, Dumitru, „Petre Andrei – modelul intelectual deplin al sociologiei ieşene” / „Petre Andrei – the complete intellectual model of the Iaşi sociology”, introductory study to Petre Andrei, Sociologie generală / General sociology, Editura Universităţii „Al. I. Cuza”, Iaşi, 2010.
- Şandru, Daniel, Reinventarea ideologiei. O abordare teoretico-politică / The re-invention of ideology. A theoretical-political approach, Editura Institutul European, Iaşi, 2009.
- Şandru, Daniel, „Primul Steinhardt sau despre vocaţia intelectualului public în epoca totalitarismului” / „The first Steinhardt or on the vocation of the public intellectual during totalitarianism”, conference delivered on the 4th of November, 2010 in the Senate Hall of the University „Al. I. Cuza” from Iaşi.
- Şandru, Daniel, „Populism as democratic anti-proceduralism”, conference delivered at the Significance & Interpretation International Conference, Baia Mare, 27-30 octombrie 2011.
- Şandru, Daniel, „Marginalitatea ideologiei în contextul teoriei politice” / „The marginality of ideology within the context of political theory”, in Sfera Politicii, 163, 2011.
- Thompson, John B., Ideology and Modern Culture, Polity Press, Cambridge, 1990.