Universitatea „Lucian Blaga” din Sibiu, Facultatea de Litere și Arte | Universitatea București, Facultatea de Limbi și Literaturi Străine
E-mail personal autor:
Istorie si studii culturale
Cultural Translation Enabling a Dialogue between West and East
Translations are not only a way of communication; they are not only connected with linguistic competence, but with intertextuality, psychological, and narrative competence, being a cultural vector, a facilitator of cross-cultural cooperation. It has to be clearly acknowledged that translation functions not just as a trans-lingual vector of meaning but also as a vector of cultural specificity. For it is only through translations that elements of one culture become available to another culture. When Chinese literature ‘travels abroad’, it does it mainly in the form of translated literature. In this case, culture operates largely through the translational activity. Chinese literature bears significant cultural heterogeneities that are not shared by other cultures or at least may be easily misunderstood by receivers of a different culture. So, there is no longer only the case of translation of the work, but also the case of the translatability of the culture.
The present research paper aims to contribute to our understanding of the importance and influence of the cultural sub-strata of language and translation in managing nowadays cross-cultural issues.
Keywords: cultural translation, literary representation of China, literature reception
- Bassnett, S. (1997) „Translating Literature (Essays and Studies)”
- Bassnett, S. (2002). Translation Studies (3rd ed.). London and New York: Routledge Taylor & Francis Group.
- Bassnett, S. and Lefevre, A. (1990) “Introduction: Proust’s Grandmother and the Thousand and One Nights. The cultural Turns in Translation Studies”. in Translation, History and Culture. (eds) by Bassnett, S and Lefevre, A (1990). Londo: Pinte
- Cao, S. (2015). Variation Theory and the Reception of Chinese Literature in the English-speaking World. CLCWeb: Comparative Literature and Culture , 17(1). Retrieved from http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/ clcweb/vol17/iss1/X
- Chunyan, C. L. (2012, 12 15). Words for the world. China Daily. Retrieved 05 07, 2015, from http://usa.chinadaily. com.cn/china/2012-10/15/content_15816419.htm
- Damrosch, D. (2003). What Is World Literature? . Princeton: : Princeton UP.
- Gentzler, E. 1998. “Foreword”. In Bassnett and Lefevere 1998. ix-xxii.
- Lefevere, A. & Bassnett, S. (1998) “Where are we ui Translation Stadies?” in Susan Bassnett (1998; ed.) Constructing Cultures: Essays on Literary Translation. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters, pp. 1-11.
- Lefevere, A. (1990) “Translation: Its Genealogy In The West.” Translation. History & Culture. Eds. Susan Bassnett & André Lefevere. London
- Lou Wei, (2009) „Cultural Contraints on Literary Translation”, Asian Social Sciences, Canadian Center of Science and Education
- Nida, E. (1964a) Toward a Science of Translating. Netheriands: LEIDEN, E. J. Brill.
- Nida, E. (1993) Language, Culture and Translating. Shanghai
- Nobelprize.org. (2014). “Mo Yan – Facts”. Nobel Media AB. Retrieved May 7, 2016, from <http://www. nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/2012/yan-facts.html>
- Observator Cultural. (2012). Mo Yan – Premiul Nobel pentru literatură 2012. Retrieved March 9, 2016, from http://www.observatorcultural.ro/articol/mo-yanpremiul-nobel-pentru-literatura-2012-2/
- Shambaugh, D. (2013). China Goes Global: The Partial Power. New York: Oxford University Press
- Shambaugh, D. (2015). China’s Soft Power Push, the Search for Respect. Foreign Affairs.
- Venuti, L. (1991) “Translation as a Social Practice,” “The Violence of Translation”, Binghamton, New York.
- Venuti, L. (1992; ed.) Rethinking Translation: Discourse, Subjectivity, Ideology. London: Routledge.
- Venuti, L.( 1998) The Scandals of Translation, Routlege, New York
- Visan, F. (2012, 11 23). Mo Yan și realismul magic. Observator Cultural. Retrieved 05 07, 2015, from http://www.observatorcultural.ro/articol/mo-yan-sirealismul-magic-2/
- Visan, F. (2014). Avantpremieră editorială: Mo Yan – Broaște. Retrieved March 12, 2016, from http://www. romlit.ro/mo_yan_-_broate