Universitatea „1 Decembrie 1918” din Alba Iulia, Facultatea de Istorie şi Filologie “1 Decembrie 1918” University of Alba Iulia, Faculty of History and Philology
E-mail personal autor:
5-6 / 2013
Ioaniţiu Endrédi, a xylographer of Blaj from the 18th century in the European bibliography
Among the xylographers of Blaj, who contributed to the decoration of religious books with title pages, illustrations, vignettes and other ornaments, in the second half of the 18th century, it was Ioaniţiu Endrédi who was in the highlights of the Romanian and foreign researchers, from the past and present, owing to both his adventurous life of Romantic nature and to his special qualities as a xylographer and typographer. The present study reveals the principal moments of Ioaniţiu Endrédi’s tumultuous life and presents his woodcuts achieved in Blaj and Debrecen, most of them signed with the monogram “I. E.”. Undoubtedly, Ioaniţiu Endrédi was a xylographer and typographer of European size. Therefore, the inclusion of his name in volume no. 33 of the impressive SAUR Allgemeines Künstlerlexikon, Munich-Leipzig, 2002, is fully justified.
Keywords: Ioaniţiu Endrédi, Typography of Blaj, woodcut, Cluj, Debrecen
- Bianu, Ioan; Hodoş, Nerva. Bibliografia românească veche, 1508-1830 / The Old Romanian Bibliography, 1508-1830, Tom. II. Bucureşti, Atelierele Socec & Co. Soc.
- Cipariu, Tim. Acte şi fragmente / Acts and fragments. Blaj, Cu tip. semin., 1855.
- Lupeanu-Melin, Alexandru. Xilografii de la Blaj, 1750-1800 / The Xilographers of Blaj, 1750-1800. Blaj, Tipografia Seminarului Teologic, 1929.
- SAUR Allgemeines Künstlerlexikon, Band 33. München-Leipzig, K. G. Saur Verlag, 2002.
- Tatai-Baltă, Cornel. Gravorii în lemn de la Blaj (1750-1830) / The Wood Engravers from Blaj (1750-1830). Blaj, Editura Eventus, 1995.