Universitatea „Alexandru Ioan Cuza” din Iaşi Departamentul de Cercetare Interdisciplinar – Domeniul Socio-Uman “Alexandru Ioan Cuza” University of Iassy Department of Interdisciplinary Research – Human and Social Sciences
E-mail personal autor:
8 / 2014
Istorie si studii culturale
Interpretations of corporeality in the digital culture
This paper focuses on the ways in which text and corporeality interfere in computer-mediated communication, especially in the first stages of the development of the Internet. The idea of disconnecting the body from the subject represented a strong point of the ideology associated with New Media. The Internet has been considered a cultural mediator through which the differences that segregated humanity could be overcome, the central theme of this utopia being the apparent lack of corporeality in the digital communicational exchanges. In fact, the discourses that contain the idea of becoming free from our bodies “mobilize” the whole Western tradition of conceptual oppositions. The computer-mediated communication, especially the one based on text, was a proper environment for the re-assertion of the Cartesian ideal of the “pure mind”. Thus, the vocabulary of the emancipatory rhetoric of technology and the imaginary that the disembodiment had created are researched.
Keywords: body, textuality, digital culture, digital Cartesianism, computer-mediated communication, disembodiment
- Baudrillard, Jean, Celălalt prin sine însuşi / The Other by Himself, traducere de Ciprian Mihali, Cluj-Napoca, Casa Cărţii de Ştiinţă, 1997. Baudrillard, Jean, Societatea de consum. Mituri şi structuri / The Consumer Society: Myths and Structures, traducere de Alexandru Matei, prefaţă de Ciprian Mihali, Bucureşti, Editura comunicare.ro, 2005.
- Bernard, Catherine, Bodies and digital utopia. În: Art Journal, 59 (4), 2000, p. 26-31.
- Currier, Dianne, Assembling Bodies in Cyberspace: Technologies, Bodies, and Sexual Difference. În: Pramod K. Nayar (ed.), The New Media and Cybercultures Anthology, Malden, Oxford, Wiley-Blackwell, 2010, p. 254-267.
- Freud, Sigmund, Angoasă în civilizaţie / Civilization and its discontents. În: Opere I, traducere, cuvânt introductive şi note de dr. Leonard Gavriliu, Bucureşti, Editura Ştiinţifică, p. 289-364.
- Giddens, Anthony, The Transformation of Intimacy: Sexuality, Love and Eroticism in Modern Societies, Cambridge, Polity Press, 1992.
- Gunkel, David J., Virtually transcendent: Cyberculture and the body. În: Journal of Mass Media Ethics 13 (2), 1998, p. 111-123.
- Haraway, Donna, A Cyborg Manifesto. Science, technology and socialist-feminism in the late twentieth century. În: David Bell and Barbara M. Kennedy (eds.), The Cybercultures Reader, London and New York, Routledge, 2001, p. 291-324.
- Heidegger, Martin, The Question Concerning Technology. În: Craig Hanks (ed.), Technology and Values: Essential Readings, Chichester, Blackwell Publishing Ltd., 2010, p. 99-113.
- Ihde, Don, Bodies in Technology, Minneapolis, London, University of Minnesota Press, 2002.
- Ihde, Don, Embodied Technics, Automatic Press / VIP, 2010.
- Jain, Sarah S., The Prosthetic Imagination: Enabling and Disabling the Prosthesis Trope. În: Science, Technology, & Human Values, Vol. 24, No. 1, 1999, p. 31-54.
- Jameson, Frederic, Postmodernism, or, the Cultural Logic of Capitalism, Durham, Duke University Press, 1991.
- Leder, Drew, The Absent Body, Chicago, London, University of Chicago Press, 1990.
- Lenoir, Tim, Makeover: Writing the Body into the Posthuman Technoscape. Part One: Embracing the Posthuman. În: Configurations 10 / 2002, p. 203-220.
- Marcel, Gabriel, The Mystery of Being, I, translated by G. S. Fraser, Chicago, Regnery Company, 1950.
- Marwick, Alice E., Online Identity. În: John Hartley, Jean Burgess (eds.), A Companion to New Media Dynamics, Malden, Oxford, Blackwell Publishing Ltd., 2013, p. 355-364.
- McLuhan, Marshall, Să înţelegem media. Extensiile omului / Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man, ediţie critică de W. Terrence Gordon, traducere de Ovidiu George Vitan, Bucureşti, Editura Curtea Veche, 2011.
- Megan, Boler, Hypes, hopes and actualities: new digital Cartesianism and bodies in cyberspace. În: New media & Society 9 (1), 2007, p. 139-168.
- Morio, Hiroaki; Buchholz, Christopher, How anonymous are you online? Examining online social behaviors from a cross-cultural perspective. În: AI & Society 23 (2) / 2009, p. 297-307.
- Rettberg, Jill Walker, Feral Hypertext: When Hypertext Literature Escapes Control. În: Jeremy Hunsinger, Lisbeth Klastrup, Mattew Allen (eds.), International Handbook of Internet Research, Dordrecht, Heildelberg, London, New York, Springer, p. 477-492.
- Rodowick, D. N., Reading the Figural, or, Philosophy after the New Media. Durham and London, Duke University Press, 2001.
- Rojas, Estrella, New figures of web textualities: from semio-technical forms toward a social approach of digital practices. În: Arch Sci 8 / 2008, p. 227-246.
- Seltzer, Mark, The Postal Unconscious. În: The Henry James Review 21 / 2000, p. 197-206.
- Sobchack, Vivian Carol, Carnal Thoughts. Embodiment and Moving Image Culture, Berkeley & Los Angeles, University of California Press, 2004.
- Soffer, Oren, ”Silent Orality”: Toward a Conceptualization of the Digital Oral Features in CMC and SMS Texts. În: Communication Theory 20 / 2010, p. 387-404.
- Stelarc, From psycho-body to cyber-systems: Images as post-human entities. În: David Bell, Barbara M. Kennedy (eds.), The Cybercultures Reader, London, New York, Routledge, 2000, p. 560-576.
- Stone, Allucquère Rosanne (Sandy), Will the Real Body Please Stand Up?: Boundary Stories about Virtual Cultures. În: David Trend (ed.), Reading Digital Culture, Massachusetts, Oxford, Blackwell Publishers, p. 185-198.
- Stratton, J., Not really desiring bodies: The rise and rise of email affairs. În: Media International Australia 84 / 1997, p. 28-38.
- Tagliamonte, Sali A.; Derek, Denis, Linguistic ruin? LOL! Instant messaging and teen language. În: American Speech 83 (1) / 2008, p. 3-34.
- Turkle, Sherry, The Second Self: Computers and the Human Spirit, New York, Simon & Schusterman, 1984.
- Young, Garry; Monica T. Whitty, In Search of the Cartesian Self: An Examination of Disembodiment within 21st-Century Communication. În: Theory & Psychology 20 (2), 2010, p. 209-229.
- Zurbrugg, Nicholas, Marinetti, Chopin, Stelarc and the Auratic Intensities of the Postmodern Techno-Body. În: Body & Society 5 (2-3) / 1999, p. 93-115.