Universitatea „Alexandru Ioan Cuza” din Iași, Departamentul de Cercetare Interdisciplinar – Domeniul Socio-Uman ”Alexandru Ioan Cuza” University of Iasi, Department of Interdisciplinary Research in Social Sciences and Humanities
E-mail personal autor:
1 / 2016
Ephemeral Albums. Digital Photography in the Household
Exploring philosophical, sociological, communicational or ethnographic approaches about photography, this paper focuses on the ways in which digital photography is integrated in the household and on the functions that it plays at home. Present changes in the understanding of the concept of „family” in the light of ”mobile privatisation” can challenge the traditional dichotomy between public and private spheres. The digital technology has transformed the nature of the photography; its democratization has shaped its functions (self-presentation, memento, communication, storytelling) and also its selection, preservation, archiving or display modalities. In the same vein, the snapshot culture has emphazised the importance of the socializing function, sometimes unconcerned with the quality of image. The family photographs are embedded in specific practices and have to be understood within these practices. The perceived frailty of digital photographies in family (difficulty of access, problems with use) challenges the design of new ways of better integrating the digital mementos in the house.
Keywords: digital photography, family, home, archive, digital memento, storytelling, snapshot culture
- Barthes, Roland. La chambre claire: Note sur la photographie. Paris, Seuil, 1980.
- Batchen, Geoffrey. Snapshots. Art history and the ethnographic turn. În: Photographies, 1(2), 2008, p.121-142.
- Baudrillard, Jean. L’echange symbolique et la mort. Paris, Gallimard, 1976.
- Baudrillard, Jean. Photographies: For Illusion Isn’t The Opposite of Reality. În: Fotografien, Photographies, Photographs, 1985-1998, Peter Weibel (editor). Hatje Cantz Publishers, 1999, p. 129.
- Baudrillard, Jean. Photography, or the Writing of Light. În: Ctheory.net, http://www.ctheory.net/text_file.asp?pick=126, 2000.
- Baudrillard, Jean. Please Follow Me. În: The Jean Baudrillard Reader, editor Steve Redhead. New York, Columbia University Press, 2008, p. 71-82.
- Bourdieu. Pierre et al. Photography: A Middle Brow Art. Tr. de S. Whiteside. Cambridge, Polity Press, 1990.
- Brockmeier, Jens. Autobiographical time. În: Narrative Inquiry 10(1), 2000, p. 51-73.
- Chalfen, Richard. Snapshot Versions of Life. Madison, University of Wisconsin Press, 1987.
- Di Bello, Patrizia. Seductions and flirtations: photographs, histories, theories. În: Photographies 1(2), 2008, p. 143155.
- Durden, Mark (ed.). Fifty Key Writers on Photography. New York, Routledge, 2013.
- Edwards, Elisabeth, Hart, Janice. Photographs as objects. În: Photographs Objects Histories. On the Materiality of Images, editori E. Edwards, J. Hart. New York, Routledge, 2004, p. 1-15.
- Fernback, Jan. Legends on the net: an examination of computer-mediated communication as a locus of oral culture. În: New Media & Society 5 (1), 2003, p. 29-45.
- Garry, Maryanne, Gerrie, Matthew. When Photographs Create False Memories. În: Current Directions in Psychological Science 14(6), 2005, p. 321-325.
- Harrison, Barbara. Photographic Visions and Narrative Inquiry. În: Narrative Inquiry 12(1), 2002, p. 87-111.
- Kim, J., Zimmerman, J. Cherish: smart digital photo frames for sharing social narratives at Home. În: CHI ’06: CHI ’06 extended abstracts on Human factors in computing systems, 2006, p. 953-958.
- Kirk, David S. et al. Opening up the family archive. În: Proceedings of the 2010 ACM conference on Computer supported cooperative work, ACM, 2010.
- McQuire, Scott. Digital Photography and the Operational Archive. În: Digital Light, editori Sean Cubitt, Daniel Palmer şi Nathaniel Tkacz. Londra, Open Humanities
Press, 2015, p. 122-143.
- Nunes, M., Greenberg, S., Neustaedter, C. Using Physical Memorabilia as Opportunities to Move into Collocated Digital Photo Sharing, Research Report 2009-919-32. Department of Computer Science, Calgary, Alberta, University of Calgary, 2009.
- Petersen, M.G., Gronbaek, K. Domestic hypermedia: mixed media in the home. În: CHI 2004, New York, ACM Press, p. 108-109.
- Petrelli, Daniela, Bowen, Simon, Whittaker, Steve. Photo mementos: Designing digital media to represent ourselves at home. În: International Journal of HumanComputer Studies 72(3), 2014, p.320-336.
- Petrelli, Daniela, Whittaker, Steve. Family memories in the home: contrasting physical and digital mementos. În: Personal and Ubiquitous Computing 14(2), 2010, p. 153-169.
- Rose, Gillian. Doing Family Photography: The Domestic, the Public and the Politics of Sentiment. Surrey,Burlington, Ashgate, 2010.
- Schiano, Diane J., Chen, Coreena P., Isaacs, Ellen. How Teens Take, View, Share, and Store Photos. În: Proceedings of the Conference on Computer-Supported Co-operative Work (CSCW). New York, ACM, 2002.
- Sit, R. Y., Hollan, J. D., Griswold, W. G. Digital photos as conversational anchors. În: System Sciences, 2005, HICSS’05, Proceedings of the 38th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, 2005.
- Slater, Don. Domestic photography and digital culture. În Martin Lister (ed.), The Photographic Image in Digital Culture. Oxon, New York, Routledge, 1995.
- Soffer, Oren. Silent Orality: Toward a Conceptualization of the Digital Oral Features in CMC and SMS Texts. În: Communication Theory 20, 2010, p. 387-404.
- Sontag, Susan. Despre fotografie/ On Photography. Tr. de Delia Zahareanu. Bucureşti, Vellant, 2014.
- Van Dijck, José. Digital photography: communication, identity, memory. În: Visual Communication 7(1), 2008, p. 57-76.
- Whittaker, Steve, Bergman, Ofer, Clough, Paul. Easy on that trigger dad: a study of long term family photo retrieval. În: Personal and Ubiquitous Computing 14(1), 2010, p. 31-43.