Muzeul Judeţean de Istorie şi Artă Zalău County Museum of History and Art, Zalău
E-mail personal autor:
Etnografie si folclor
Enter the white world: ‘magic quarantine’ for the child and Ways to develop ‘magic immunity’. Cheating destiny.
The traditional community has developed over time many magical ways of maximal efficiency to trick destiny and to manipulate the opposing forces and to answer to certain potentially unwanted outcomes. All these mechanisms to manipulate destiny in a child’s favour are activated in a spiritual context that belongs to the way of tackling life and death in the traditional village. It also involves a tight relationship between the concepts of destiny and evil for the field of customs and beliefs pertaining birth and childhood. Under such conditions temptation to activate mechanisms to make destiny favorable is strongly emphasized – given the initial absence of cultural identity of the child who comes from the unknown and enters the world thus altering if for the moment the balance for the mother, family, and community. Salaj villages still conserve such information, and the stories told in this paper stand proof of that.
Keywords: traditional community, magical quarantine for the child, potentially unwanted outcomes, magic immunity, cheating destiny
- Chevalier, Jean, Gheerbrant, Alain, Dicţionar de simboluri / Dictionary of Symbols, Editura Artemis, Bucureşti, 1995.
- Larchet, Jean Claude, Terapeutica bolilor spirituale / Spiritual disease therapy, Editura Sofia, Bucureşti, 2001.
- Potel, Julien, Les baptemes catholiques : leurs presentations et le vecu des familles / Catholic baptism processions: their presentation and the lives of the Popular Religion families, în „La Religion Populaire”, Paris, 1979.
- Ştiucă, Narcisa Alexandra, În pragul lumii albe / Dawn of the white world, Editura CNCVTCP, Bucureşti, 2001.
- Vedinaş, Traian, Sistemul culturii ţărăneşti / Popular culture system, Editura Casa Cărţii de Ştiinţă, Cluj Napoca, 2000.