Muzeul Judeţean de Istorie şi Artă Zalău County Museum of History and Art, Zalău
E-mail personal autor:
3 / 2012
Etnografie si folclor
Chastity in the traditional village: roles and states
The ancient village society was built upon social and family rules which were guarded and developed upon generations so that the youths were integrated into a well-developed framework of customs regarding the community of married people. Youths had a greater deal of freedom and many opportunities to get together or celebrate but at the same time were working along with their parents of which they were economically and financially bound to.
To belong to the youth group of the community was of high importance as this group developed coherence on several of the already quoted occasions: Christmas carol singing, weddings, periodical dancing and religious celebrations – when it behaved as a single body.
Cultural heritage maintains the deepest impressions on the community of youths and the relations within it or between the youths and the adults. The girls and lads had well outlined roles in the customs of the community while their development was dotted with certain social and cultural statuses. The passage through this temporal, biologic and cultural segment of „chastity” was compulsory within the lapse of all natural stages in order to prepare that certain moment of vital importance in the traditional village: marriage.
Keywords: traditional community, traditional village, chastity, magic-ritual scenarios, marriage.
- Goia, I. A., Zona etnografică Meseş, Editura Sport – Turism, Cluj, 1982.
- Neaga, Gavril, Două obiceiuri arhaice în satele Halmăşd şi Drighiu: vergelul şi ţuraleisa, în Acta Musei Porolissensis, XI / 1987, Zalău, 1987.
- Nicoară, Toader, Transilvania la începuturile timpurilor moderne (1680 – 1800). Societate rurală şi mentalităţi colective, Editura Presa Universitară Clujeană, Cluj, 1997.
- Şeuleanu, Ion, Nunta în Transilvania, Editura Viitorul românesc, Bucureşti, 2000.
- Şişeştean, Gheorghe, Forme tradiţionale de viaţă ţărănească (O cercetare etno-sociologică a zonei Sălajului), volum editat de Centrul Judeţean de Conservare şi Valorificare a Tradiţiei şi Creaţiei Populare Sălaj, Zalău, 1999.