Universitatea Ovidius din Constanța, Facultatea de Litere Ovidius University of Constanta, Faculty of Letters
E-mail personal autor:
12 / 2014
Cioran and the Philosophy of the Decadence
The present study aims at observing the relation between Cioran’s philosophy of decadence, as it appears mainly in his last Romanian book, On France, and the style of his concrete life as a French philosopher. The question central to this study is: What are the limits of the (self-)destructive impulses, how far can one go in self-destruction? Cioran did not have the courage to go too far, the longevity of his existence betrayed the purity of his doctrine. Cioran has sacrificed everything: his country, his language, his relatives, his „remote friends”, his own culture – except for his life, whose whole energy was aesthetically sublimated. Here we have the paradox of a barbarian converted to decadence.
Keywords: 20th century European philosophy, French existentialism, philosophy of decadence, Cioran, On France
- Emil Cioran, De la France / On France, traduit du roumain par Alain Paruit, Édition de l’Herne, Paris, 2011.
- Emil Cioran, Despre Franţa / On France, stabilirea textului, prefaţă şi note de Constantin Zharia, Humanitas, Bucureşti, 2011.
- Emil Cioran, Exerciţii de admiraţie / Exercises of Admiration, Humanitas, Bucureşti, 2011.
- Emil Cioran, Revelaţiile durerii / The Revelations of Pain, ediţie îngrijită de Mariana Vartic şi Aurel Sasu, prefaţă de Dan C. Mihăilescu, Editura Echinox, Cluj, 1990.
- Ilina Gregori, Cioran. Sugestii pentru o biografie imposibilă / Cioran. Suggestions for an impossible biography, Editura Humanitas, Bucureşti, 2012.