Institutul de Cercetări Socio-Umane Sibiu Institute for Social Sciences and Humanities of Sibiu
E-mail personal autor:
5-6 / 2014
Historical images of nowadays Romanian Cities printed in Antwerp
Many specialists have studied the “Printing Revolution”, as well as the importance of the production and the trade of books. Images of Romanian cities have been made on a wide range of supports, but the vast majority of them were printed images. The oldest images of Romanian cities were the views of Oradea and Cluj, from Georg Brauns Civitates Orbis Terrarum, made by Georg (or Joris) Hoefnagel, artist born in Antwerp. The work itself is strongly related with this famous centre, trough Abraham Ortelius’s Theatrum orbis terrarium, printed there. While Civitates and Hoefnagel’s activity is well known, Gaspar Boutats, Jacob Harrewijn and Jacob Peeters, who as well represented cities from nowadays Romania, are almost unknown to Romanian historiography. Their images seem to be “head series” for a type of representations that circulated for two centuries. This paper intends to study these images, together with the books in which they have been printed. Both images and books were created in the 17th century Antwerp.
Keywords: Antwerp, books, city views, historical images, printing press.
- Androssov, Sergey. Two drawings by Hoefnagel. În The Burlington Magazine, 136, 1095, 1994, p. 339-372.
- Băcilă, Ioan C. Stampe privitoare la Istoria Românilor [Stamps on the history of Romanians]. În Anuarul de Istorie Naţională Cluj, V, 1928–1930, p. 175-306.
- Cernovodeanu, Paul. O vedere a oraşului Bucureşti din anul 1688 [A view of Bucharest from 1688]. În Materiale de istorie şi muzeografie, VIII, 1971, p. 121-127 şi Biblioteca Bucureştilor, I, nr. 9, 1998, p. 2-4.
- Elliot, James. The City in Maps: Urban Mapping to 1900, The British Library, London, 1987.
- Hartzer Nguyen, Kristina. The Made Landscape: City and Country in Seventeenth-Century Dutch Prints, în Harvard University Art Museums Bulletin, 1, 1992, 1, p. 1-47.
- Keuning, Johannes. The „Civitates” of Braun and Hogenberg. În Imago Mundi, 17, 1963, p. 41-44.
- Navari, Leonora. Vincenzo Coronelli and the Iconography of the Venetian Conquest of the Morea: A Study in Illustrative Methods. În The Annual of the British School at Athens, 90, 1995, p. 505-519.
- Nuti, Lucia. The Perspective Plan in the Sixteenth Century: The Invention of a Representational Language. În The Art Bulletin, 76, 1, 1994, p. 105-128.
- Peeters,Jakobus. Korte Beschryvinghe ende aen-wysinghe der Plaetsen in desfn Boeck, met hunnen teghenwoordingen Standt, épertinentlijck uytghebeldt, in Oostenryck, Antwepen, 1690.
- Tzoref-Ashkenazi, Chen. The Experienced Traveller as a Professional Author: Friedrich Ludwig Langstedt, Georg Forster and Colonialism Discourse in Eighteenth-Century Germany. În History, Blackwell Publishing Ltd, 95, 2010, 317, p. 2-24.