Vasile Mărculeţ, Forme ale violenţei şi intoleranţei în lumea bizantină şi balcanică a sec. XI-XII (II)
Forms and Aspects of the violence and intolerance in the Byzantine and Balkan world of the 11th-13th centuries
E-mail personal autor:
1 / 2011
Forms and Aspects of the violence and intolerance
in the Byzantine and Balkan world of the 11th-13th centuries
The complex and contradictory Byzantine society of the 11th-13th is distinguished by two extremes: a special refinement of its civilization, but also through a violence sometimes taken to the paroxysm. This second feature was to be transmitted to Balkan states emerged and developed in the 12th and 13th centuries on the ruins of Byzantium that was temporally disappered under the bows of the participants in the 4th Crusade, which were pretending to be the heiresses of the Byzantium and its political traditions. Among the manifestations forms of intolerance and violence specific to the Byzantium and Balkan world, one can distinguish: violence as state policy practiced against both external and internal enemies, ethnic intolerance practiced in certain political context in relation to various ethnic groups inside the empire, respectively the Balkan states, and popular violence, as a result of the uncontrolled surge of the masses.
Keywords: political violence, ethnic intolerance, popular violence, Byzantium, Constantinople, Byzantine world, Balkan world.
- Nicetae Choniatae, Historia, ex recensione Immanuelis Bekkeri, Bonnae, 1835.
- Ioannis Cinnami, Epitome rerum ab Ioanne et Alexio Comnenis gestarum. Ad fidem Codocis Vaticani, recensuit Augustus Meineke, Bonnae, 1836.
- S.B. Daşkov, Dicţionar de împăraţi bizantini / Dictionary of Byzantine Emperors, Bucureşti, 1999.
- *** Fontes Historiae Daco-Romanae, vol. III, Bucureşti, 1975.
- Al. Kajdan, Andronic Comnenul – curajos, perfid şi cavaler / Andronikos Comnenos – brave, treacherous and knight, în «Magazin Istoric», V, 1971, 8(53).
- V. Mărculeţ, Vlahii balcanici şi românii nord-dunăreni în viziunea cronicarilor şi scriitorilor bizantini din secolele XI-XVI / The Balkan Vlachs and the North-Danubian Romanians in the vision of the Byzantine chroniclers and writers of 11th-16th centuries, în «Istorie şi tradiţie în spaţiul românesc», VII, 2007.
- Georgii Pachymeris, De Michaele et Andronico Paleologis libri XIII, recensuit Immanuelis Bekkerus, vol. II, Bonnae, 1835.
- Mihail Psellos, Cronografia. Un veac de istorie bizantină (976-1077) / The Chronography. A century of Byzantine history (976-1077), ed. R. Alexandrescu, N.Ş. Tanaşoca, Iaşi, 1998.