Bursier postdoctoral, Academia Română, Filiala Iaşi Postdoctoral Grant Recipient, Romanian Academy, Iaşi Branch
E-mail personal autor:
4 / 2013
Capabilism and Health
In this paper, I seek to achieve three objectives. The first is to present the main ideas and arguments of capabilism as a theory of health justice, as it was recently developed by Jennifer Prah Ruger and Sridhar Venkatapuram. The second is to show that this theory can successfully deal with the most important objections so far against it. Nevertheless, I also argue that we need to be cautious about the idea that capabilism is the best theory of health justice we have until now. At least for now, capabilism has a major disadvantage against its main rival – namely, Rawlsianism – in theorizing health justice. The disadvantage lies in the fact that, unlike Rawlsianism, capabilism is not yet a complete theory of (social and, consequently, health) justice.
Keywords: capabilism, health, justice, Rawlsianism, Jennifer Prah Ruger, Sridhar Venkatapuram
- Anderson, Elizabeth. „Justifying the Capabilities Approach to Justice”. În Measuring Justice. Primary Goods and Capabilities, ed. Harry Brighouse şi Ingrid Robeyns, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2010, p. 81-100.
- Daniels, Norman. Just Health: Meeting Health Needs Fairly,
Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2008, 397 p.
- Daniels, Norman; Bruce Kennedy; Ichiro Kawachi. „Health and Inequality, or, Why Justice is Good for Our Health”. În Public Health, Ethics, and Equity, ed. Sudhir Anand, Fabienne Peter, Amartya Sen, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2004, p. 63-92.
- Dworkin, Ronald. „Justice in the Distribution of Health Care”, McGill Law Journal, 38, 1993, p. 883-898.
- Huzum, Loredana. Dreptate distributivă şi sănătate în filosofia contemporană, Iaşi, Institutul European, 2011,
275 p. Disponibilă online la adresa http://independent.academia.edu/Loredana Huzum.
- Marmot, Michael G.; Richard Wilkinson, ed. Social Determinants of Health, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 1999, 376 p.
- Nordenfelt, Lennart. Action, Ability and Health: Essays in the Philosophy of Action and Welfare, Dordrecht, Kluwer
Academic Publishers, 2000, 192 p.
- Nussbaum, Martha C. Frontiers of Justice: Disability, Nationality, Species Membership, Cambridge, HarvardUniversity Press, 2006, 507 p.
- Nussbaum, Martha C. Creating Capabilities: The Human