E-mail personal autor:
5 / 2015
Beyond the canonical debate
This paper aims to define the theoretical framework of the American canonical debate that goes beyond the initial, already clichéistic and arid, cultural war between the liberal pluralist revisionists and the conservative supporters of the aesthetic literary canon. The paper also tries to highlight the conceptual and theoretical advantages of Western analytical directions, legitimated by sociology and pragmatism, that focus on the rehabilitation of the literary canons.
Keywords: canonical debate, cultural war, literary canon, pragmatism, revisionism, hypercanon
- Bennett, William J., To Reclaim a Legacy. A Report on the Humanities in Higher Education, National Endowment for the Humanities, Washington D.C., 1984
- Bloom Allan, Criza spiritului american [The Closing of the American Mind], traducere și note de Mona Antohi, Editura Humanitas, București, 2006
- Bloom, Harold, The Western Canon. The Books and School of Ages, Harcourt Brace & Company, New York, 1994
- Graff, Gerald, Beyond the Culture Wars: How Teaching the Conflicts Can Revitalize American Education, W.W. Norton & Company, New York and London, 1992
- Guillory, John, Cultural Capital. The Problem of Literary Canon Formation, The University of Chicago Press, Chicago and London, 1993
- Kermode, Frank, The Art of Telling. Essays on Fiction, Harvard University Press, 1983; History and Value, Oxford University Press, 1988; Pleasure and Change. The Aesthetics of Canon, with commentaries by Geoffrey Hartman, John Guillory, Carey Perloff, edited and introduced by Robert Alter, Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Kolbas E. Dean, Critical Theory and the Literary Canon, Westview Press, Boulder, Colorado, 2001
- Morrissey, Lee (ed.), Debating the Canon. A Reader from Addison to Nafisi, Palgrave Macmillan, New York, 2005
- Nemoianu, Virgil, Bătălia canonică – de la critica americană la cultura română [The Canonical Battle – from American Criticism to Romanian Culture], în „România literară”, nr. 41, anul XXIII, joi, 11 octombrie 1990
- Saussy, Haun (ed.), Comparative Literature in an Age of Globalization, The John Hopkins University Press, 2006
- Takaki, Ronald (ed.), Debating Diversity: Clashing Perspectives on Race and Ethnicity in America, Oxford University Press, New York, 2002.
- van Halberg, Robert (ed.), Canons, The University Chicago Press, Chicago and London, 1984